Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Deep thought tuesday 3: Giving Back

Let's be honest.  I am pretty much the luckiest bastard to walk the Earth.  Well... if we count Channing Tatum, I'm the second luckiest bastard.  I have a great life, a partner who is loving and supportive, a job at which I thrive, and I get to do Ironman races because I find them strangely enjoyable.  Really?  The next time I have a bad day, please remind me to read this.

The point of this blog post, and perhaps on a much larger scale, is the importance of giving back and helping others.  This weeks entries will all have to do with one big event in my life: BRAKING AIDS Ride, a bike ride from Boston to NYC over 3 days raising money for Housing Works.  If I tried really hard, I bet I could squeeze another hyperlink into this paragraph, no?  People who click hyperlinks go to heaven, I'm just sayin'.

If you don't know about Housing Works, here is the cliff notes version.  The organization started back in the 80's when the AIDS crisis was gaining steam.  Due to the misinformation, and lack of information, a great deal of stigma arose around those who where HIV+ often leading them to lose their jobs and eventually homes.  Housing Works was founded to help these folks find homes and get back on their feet.  Today, every person who is accepted into their program get a guaranteed position within their chain of retail stores.  Not many of us have ever experienced homelessness, with or without a positive diagnosis of HIV.  To find a place that gets you back on your feet, puts a safe roof over your head, and gives you a job?  I can't imagine the feeling of hope and salvation that must bring, and in so many ways, I hope I never am in a position to feel that for myself.

So for the 7th time, I will get on my bike and ride.  You have to raise money to do this ride of course, to the tune of at least $3500.  Why do I do this?  Why do I pester my friends year after year to donate money (yes! another one!)?  It is because it's what I know I can do to make a difference.  It's how I know to help.

So imagine my surprise this year when the ride producers asked me to be the designated speaker at the closing ceremonies (last one, I swear).  To say this is an honor would be to compare peanut butter to almond butter.  There is just no comparison or equivalent.

I have to admit that I don't know entirely what I plan to say.  All the more reason to show up to see me tank, right?  Normally the person they ask to do this is a freakin' hero.  A veritable rock star.  A story that not only inspires but also makes you desperate to do something to change the world.  What the hell am I compared to that?  If you think of something, please let me know!

I plan to say something along the lines of why I ride.  Why, for the seventh time, I am going to sit on a seat the size of a deck of cards for 3 straight days solid.  Why I work so hard to raise this money.  I'll say something along the lines of, "because it makes the world just a little bit better."

If you should find yourself in the NYC area, specifically the East Village, this Sunday afternoon, do something good for yourself and see this event.  It is heartwarming and gives you perspective like you can't imagine.  I also don't play for audiences smaller than 1000, so show up so we don't have an embarrassing diva moments.

Here's to helping those who need it and unexpectedly helping yourself along the way.

Look, it's me.  Down front and center, of course...

No comments:

Post a Comment