Tuesday, September 3, 2013

A powerful run...emotionally

Picture this guy: flattest feet this side of Kansas, ACL reconstruction 14 years ago resulting in a few biomechanical funnies, and considers running something you do to escape danger or cut in line at the grocery store.

This athlete described above is none other than my partner, Paul. He is supportive but is convinced I'm an idiot. I tend to agree with him on that, but am defiant just to keep things spicy.

So imagine my surprise after my last race when he drops this bomb on me: "I think I want to start running." My initial reaction was to pull out the full-Nelson learned from my Hulk Hogan years (last year) and ask him who he was and what he did with Paul. He didn't really like that. He's sensitive.

Fast forward to yesterday morning. Alarm went off at 5:30am (still in HI and the time change is HEAVILY on my side) and I'll be damned if he didn't lace up and come with me!

I had a plan!  I was going to teach him all about footfalls, cadence, breathing, proper snot rocket technique. You know, the basics. I'd been waiting for this day for over 9 years and I was going to make it EPIC!

Completely caught unawares, I lost track of my plan. After one quick tip on midfoot striking, I didn't want to teach him anything. I'm certain he didn't want to hear it either (see above regarding the 9 years bit). Instead, we just ran. No GPS, no goals, no time to beat. We just ran.

I was reminded that the only thing I love more than running is sharing it with someone. We spent some time, we did something healthy, he got his first runners high. Then we braided each others hair and told ghost stories.

In 30 short minutes his feet started gaining proprioception, quads loosened up, burned some calories, and started a journey. I didn't get any of that.

Biomechanically I'm not sure I changed a bit or will be any stronger on my next run. But strangely enough, I think it was my best run of the year. I was reminded of my passion for running. I was proud to share such a gift and proud to see it enacted and enjoyed. I was stronger as an athlete because I was proud to be an athlete.

I was reminded why I run, why I am a PT that treats runners and triathletes, what an active lifestyle can do. All in all, I think I got a great deal more out of that run than he did.

Just don't tell him that. I'll never hear the end of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment