Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Training report: Just like a fish

I found myself in a strange environment a few times during these last couple of weeks.  It was like a normal room except that I usually had to be in a basement to find it, there was a strong smell of gross chemicals, and there was a huge hole in the ground with a lot of water inside.

Perhaps unrelated, but there was also an alarming number of people who clearly had issues as children when it came to sharing toys.



That's right people...I have been swimming!  Perhaps this doesn't seem to warrant celebratory exclamation marks, but I assure you, it does.  I am a lousy swimmer and to be frank, rarely do I enjoy a session in the pool.  I feel like it's just like running, only soggy and without any of the joy.

The rest of these past 2 weeks has been a well distributed smattering of running, which is FINALLY happening outside again, and bike riding indoors.

My only concern is that I have a race this coming Sunday in Haines City, Florida to the tune of 70.3 miles.  My training has been pretty spot on, but I have yet to ride my new bike outdoors to date.  I'm not so crazy about having the first long ride I do on this new bike be during a race, but what can you do?  I'll ride some the day before the race to work the kinks out and hopefully not bust my face on the road.  However, I guess if there is face busting to be done, better to get it over with before race day!

So here's to a week of tapering and mental preparation.  My body is where it is going to be on race day and I have to say that I am pretty excited to be heading to my first race of what potentially is going to be a fantastic season.

As for what I expect, it's hard to say.  Partly this is just the first race of the season to shake off the winter cobwebs, but I would be lying to myself to say I didn't have a tentative goal in mind.  I surely would like to cross that line in 5:30 or better but you never know what you'll face on race day.

Should you find yourself either racing or spectating next Sunday in central Florida and see a moderately  tattoo-covered athlete looking like he's questioning his life's choices, say something encouraging to him.  Possibilities include "you're doing great," or "finish strong," or "love-handles and thinning hair are super sexy."

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment