Monday, March 24, 2014

Training report: week's review

It's the beginning of another big training week.  What a lovely time to look back at the blister forming, saddle sore inducing, and ever so slightly sun-burned cheeks of last week.

It was overall a great week with some solid sessions.  Without intending to, I hit a new PR for a half marathon distance.  I then felt like I was about 104 years old for the next two days, but it was worth it.

Monday: speed interval run day.  Man I hate these workouts!  "Here Chad, please sprint as fast as you can for the next 15 minutes.  Puke into your eucalyptus towel and repeat 2 more times."  Who designs these things?  Painful as it was, I was able to hold a sub-7 min pace for my fast intervals.  Not great, but not terrible either.

Tuesday: indoor bike ride.  I know people hate indoor rides, but I have to say that in most ways I prefer them to riding outdoors.  Let's face it that after the winter we had, I barely want to drive on these Northeast roads.  I certainly am not interested in sitting on that TINY little saddle and slamming my way through potholes the size of Rhode Island.  Lord only knows where that saddle would end up by ride's end.

Wednesday: resistance training day.  How can a guy who is in such good shape be in such bad shape? 20 minutes into the workout, I was certain my legs would spontaneously detach themselves in an act of defiance and revolt.  I was planning to run afterwards.  HAHA.  Instead I did a hot yoga class.  Equally punishing but requiring less muscular effort.

Thursday: another indoor ride.  Numbers are consistently improving.  Funny what happens when you actually listen to your coach...

Friday: long run!  I was asked to run for 1:45 so I set out to run along the riverside park on the westside of manhattan and take advantage of the relative springy weather briefly afforded to us miserable winter-warn souls.  This park is about as flat as Florida, but I did battle a pretty good headwind on the second half of the run.  I had a great run and was reminded why I love running so much.  At 1:44 I had hit exactly 13.1 miles and felt that was a good place to stop.  My previous 1/2 marathon PR was 1:53.  Nice!  Imagine my continued delight to afterwards notice I had the slightest bit of sun on my cheeks.  First sun of the season = vitamins for my soul.

Saturday: I could barely get out of bed!  I guess I ran harder than I thought I did.  I still hobbled my way onto the bike, but it was a recovery ride at best.  I was consistently 20-30 watts lower than usual, but understandably why.  Still felt good to get the legs moving.

Sunday: I took a day off.  I sat like a champ for 2 hours at a movie theater, and then went home to clean my disease ridden apartment and do some paperwork.  The body needed the break, oh yes.

What was missing from my week?  Swimming...  I truly intend at the beginning of the week to hit my swims, I just seem to miss them somehow.  Thank goodness I'm starting a group swim class this coming Sunday.  That may be all that get's me into the water!

Maybe this would make me swim faster?


Another big week starting today and now less than 3 weeks until my first race of the season: IronMan 70.3 Florida.

Should we have a prize for the person that guesses closest to what my time will be that day?

No comments:

Post a Comment