Friday, February 28, 2014

Winter blues

Dear people of the warmer southern states, also substitutable with any warm client readers, you are turds for living in such a reasonably climate-influenced location.

There, I said it.  I am actually resentful that you were smart enough to live somewhere nice while my clearly questionable life choices have led me to a city where the temperature was in the teens this morning.  With wind, single digits.



Why am I whining so much you ask?  Well other than being so good at it (it's on my resume), I was scheduled to run this morning.  1 hour and 40 minutes of pure happiness.

What did I do instead?  Snuggled with my pups and caught up on The Voice.  It was just too cold out to be running and the thought of 1:40 on a treadmill makes me compulsively want to dig my liver out with a wooden spoon.  Damned if you do, damned if you do...

How then, I'd like to hear, do you all deal with the crappy season as an endurance athlete?  I can handle an indoor bike ride, and in some ways prefer it to outdoor riding, but the running is tough for me.

Do you just suck it up?  Do you have a brand of clothing you wear that actually works in these temps?  Do you preemptively light yourself on fire beforehand?

My first race is just over 5 weeks away and some running needs to happen.  While puppy-snuggles are truly superior to most other things in life, a better triathlete they will not make.

Pondering, shivering, scheming...

No comments:

Post a Comment