Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Taking an opportunity

"When someone offers you the chance to make the world a better place, you take it."  A truly inspired quote by an exceptionally eloquent man.  Ok, it was me, but it is pretty good, right?

That's what I felt I got the chance to do this past weekend: make the world a better place.  Along with another 106 riders and 40+ volunteer crew members, we set out on bicycle from Boston to NYC over 3 days.  Here's how it went down.

On Thursday night we all sit together and take a moment.  This ride is about many things, one of them being a moment to remember those who we have lost along the years to the HIV/AIDS epidemic.  We sit silently in a room and one by one, the names of those lost appear on a screen as though being signed by their owner.  A more sombre moment cannot be imagined.

I spoke about it after the ride which you can see below, but there is nothing like seeing those names and recognizing some of them.  Remembering the time you shared with that person.  The jokes, the laughter, the tears.  It's hard to know you have lost them, and devastating to know it isn't over yet.  More are being lost daily and the infection rates of new HIV cases has not changed in 10 years.  Via the media we seem to have been told that this epidemic is basically over.  Tell that to those of us who lose friends each year.  We must have missed the memo.

The ride was Friday-Sunday, and while a daily play-by-play might make for a good story, it just seems impossible to break each day down analytically into separate moments of note.

There were unbelievable hills to climb.  They made me remember my friends struggle and why I was there.

There were moments of laughter that were borderline painful.  They made me reflect on those I still have in my life and am allowed to cherish.

There were moments of exquisite pain and sadness.  They made me realize that through pain, I can be stronger.

There were moments of anger and frustration.  They made me remember why I still fight for a cause and a group of people I believe in.

There were also brief moments of confusion, lending themselves well to photo ops.


It's hard to articulate how an experience like this changes a person, much less how much change happens when you've done it 7 times.  Each year gets easier and somehow harder at the same time.  Each ride forms new bonds and strengthens old friendships.  I count myself terrifically fortunate to have been given the opportunities in my life to give back to those who need it, and find that working to help those in need lends itself as the most self-satisfying work to be done.

Because it really isn't about the 285 miles ridden, although my coach is delighted that I spent that much time on a bike.  It isn't about cadence, or power, or even biking.  As one of the producers of the ride has been quoted to say, "it is a civil rights march on two wheels."  I dig that.

At the closing ceremonies, I was given the very undeserved honor of being asked to speak and tell the crowd what drove me to do this ride.  Two days afterwards, I am still reeling and raw from the emotional upheaval that was this past weekend and vow to continue doing what I am able to do to help those who are in such great a need.

Perhaps I will see you there next year?
http://brakingaidsride.org



No comments:

Post a Comment